The legacy of giving back to society was inherited from the founder - the late B. D. Garware, fondly known as Abasaheb. A visionary philanthropist, he was awarded with Padmabhushan for his contribution to Indian industry and society. He extended generous support to a number of educational institutes, hospitals, charities and trusts. Following in his footsteps, the former chairman, the late Ramesh Garware too imbibed this admirable trait. His philanthropic traits and passion for giving back to the society reflected in his active and enthusiastic involvement in various social initiatives. He formed Ramesh Garware Charity Trust and the Om Charity Trust for serving the underprivileged sections of society.
The current Chairman & Managing Director- Mr Vayu Garware continues to extend support for various social causes and is looking at other new avenues to broaden the sphere of activities
Some Highlights :
In 1960, The Garware bridge was constructed which greatly benefited pedestrians in the congested Deccan Gymkhana area of Pune.
Garware Bal Bhavan and Abasaheb Garware College are the pride of Pune. Today more than 500 children enjoy the benefits of the Garware Bal Bhavan every day.
The Abasaheb Garware College has received the best College Award from Pune University and is one of the best Colleges in Maharashtra.
The Trusts have given & continues to give help to various segments such as:
- Financial help for Apala Ghar ( Home for orphans & old age people)
- A bus for blind people
- Donation of Ventilators to Sassoon Hospital during the Swine Flu epidemic in Pune
- Financial help to Disha Foundation for spreading scientific knowledge about HIV and AIDS, and the precautions to be taken to prevent AIDS.
- Financial help to Sahitik Kalavant Pratisthan which is working on the creation of new talent in the field of literature , music, drama , painting etc
- Setting up a kindergarten, library, spoken English class, community hall and Temple at Gorhe Village, Pune
- Financial support for an Old Age home at Gorhe Village, Pune.
- Appointed a special English Teacher in Gorhe Z.P. School
- E-learning project development
- Charity for Uttarakhand Relief Fund
- Distribution of sweaters and utensils to under privileged
- Provided Medical help to under privileged